[Sca-cooks] Boiling in Beer

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Aug 22 13:00:25 PDT 2004

> Also sprach Patrick Levesque:
> >I was wondering, as I see a lot of recipes asking us to boil stuff in
> >water,
> >vinegar, wine, milk, whatever... But never in beer.
> >
> >So how early can we document recipes asking the reader to boil food in
> >beer?
> >
> >Petru
>

>From Rufina's handout on Pennsic without a Cooler:

Chykonys in Bruette

(Harleian MS. 279 (Potage Dyvers), .lxxxxvj)
"Take [an]Sethe Chykonys, & smyte hem to gobettys; than take Pepir,
Gyngere, and Brede y-grounde, & tempere it vppe wyth the selfe brothe,
an with Ale; an coloure it with Safroun, and sethe an serue forth."

-- Jadwiga, very frustrated because she brought the canned chicken but
didn't bring the recipe this year, and could have asked Rufina if she
had remembered it was Rufina who had published the suggestion.... since
Breakfast of Squires, Chickens in Brewete with Stout, over busicuts was
definitely in order...)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"