[Sca-cooks] Re: I'm back

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Aug 23 22:47:02 PDT 2004

Katja commented:
> Sadira has led weedwalks at every Pennsic for at least
> 10 years, and likely much longer. I strongly recommend
> anyone interested in plant lore and/or identification
> go on one of her walks if you can. She's an amazing
> treasure -- and a fantastic storyteller, cook, etc. as
> well.
Oh! I wish I had known this about the storytelling and the cooking. I
saw that class and considered going, but I was awful at identifying
plants in the Boy Scouts and things haven't improved, so I didn't go on
this.

Well, if I go to Pennsic next year, I'll just have to keep this in mind
for the stories even if I won't remember which plants are which when
I'm through.

There was a group at Pennsic this year who made a smelter with locally
dug clay and used it to smelt locally dug iron ore. By the last Friday
they had a sizable, partially hammered iron bloom from it. Still, it
does make you understand the advantages of having a set of water driven
trip-hammers. These interesting little projects continue and they are
getting more complex as the years go by.

Stefan
PS: For a humorous story of a past Pennsic smelting experiment, see
this file in the Florilegium:
P-tale-MWIFO-art  (23K)  8/26/96    Making Wrought Iron from Ore at
Pennsic 24.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/P-tale-MWIFO-art.html
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas