[Sca-cooks] Re: I'm back

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Aug 24 16:10:22 PDT 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Katja commented:
> > Sadira has led weedwalks at every Pennsic for at least
> > 10 years, and likely much longer. I strongly recommend
> > anyone interested in plant lore and/or identification
> > go on one of her walks if you can. She's an amazing
> > treasure -- and a fantastic storyteller, cook, etc. as
> > well.
> Oh! I wish I had known this about the storytelling and the cooking. I
> saw that class and considered going, but I was awful at identifying
> plants in the Boy Scouts and things haven't improved, so I didn't go on
> this.
>
> Well, if I go to Pennsic next year, I'll just have to keep this in mind
> for the stories even if I won't remember which plants are which when
> I'm through.

Jeeze, Stefan, I wish I'd known you were interested. Her son (the big guy
with the beard, Joe) was camping next door, and she had stopped by camp in
her efforts to decide where to take her students (I suggested across the
road from us, where there are usually lots of interesting herbs and plants,
including jewel weed, a specific for poison ivy). I'd certainly have been
happy to make an introduction.

> There was a group at Pennsic this year who made a smelter with locally
> dug clay and used it to smelt locally dug iron ore. By the last Friday
> they had a sizable, partially hammered iron bloom from it. Still, it
> does make you understand the advantages of having a set of water driven
> trip-hammers. These interesting little projects continue and they are
> getting more complex as the years go by.
>
> Stefan

Yeah, it was really too bad that the weather was too rough for us to work on
the bloom, but I can certainly understands Johann's reluctance to forge in
the rain. I got so busy this year that I never ran my forge, and when I had
time, the rain sorta changed my mind. Ah well, there's always next year.

Who me, unpacking? Whaddaya mean, I'm almost packed for next year ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.