[Sca-cooks] sauce competition

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 24 23:37:49 PDT 2004

Samrah asked:
> I am event steward for a small tourney, with a small feast 30-50 people
> expected, and we would like to have a sauce competition. There will be
> some simply spiced beef for the sauce (and possibly chicken) served at
> the feast, and I would dearly love to give the diners and opportunities
> to judge these sauces for taste, with a panel of 3 or so to review
> documentation.
>
> Has anybody done anything like this before? Did it work, or are the
> logistics just too far out there?
I believe I did this several years ago at the baronial pot luck Yule
Revel I was running. It was a bit more informal than what you are
proposing. I had two prizes. One for the best liked dish and one for
the best liked sauce. The barony traditionally provides some roast meat
for this event and the vote was simply by the populace placing the two
beans they were given at the gate into the cups in front of the sauces
or dishes. I encouraged documentation, but didn't require it.

I gave a book as the prize for each contest. I had tried to build up
interest in the sauces ahead of time by providing various sauce recipes
in handouts and posted to the local baronial list with links to the
Florilegium where more sauce recipes could be found. I was disappointed
in the number of sauces which were entered. I seem to remember that my
entries did well, but were not the top one.

Is your panel judging the documentation simply saying whether the
documentation is good enough to allow a sauce to be entered? Or is
there some weighting system between the populace vote and the
documentation score?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas