[Sca-cooks] sauce competition

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Aug 25 11:52:44 PDT 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Documentation required, but only to establish that 90% ingredients were
period (ie check your favorite encyclopedia documentation), not your recipe.
Documentation 10%-15% (haven't decided yet) to be determined by judges,
balance of score determined by populace.  I am concerned if the docs appear
to be too important, it will scare beginners off.  On the other hand, if you
go to all the trouble to redact a recipe, you should get some sort of
recognition/credit for it.

> I don't expect lots of entries, but the Shire loves to cook so I am
remaining optimistic.  I have been to dessert revels with dessert
competitions that seem to do well (but I think it was 15+ years ago).

> Samrah

Samrah, I honestly think you're shooting yourself in the foot by not
strongly encouraging period sauces. There are tons of them, they're mostly
pretty easy to redact, and the potential variations in them, depending on
the Cook's interpretations of phrases such as "until it be enough" could
make for some interesting discussions among the Cooks themselves.

Want some suggestions, Stefan's got a lot of sauces and redactions in the
Florilegium. Personally, I can think of half a dozen different interesting
sauces, in each of as many cultures, with cultural variants, off hand- if
you want suggestions, just ask.

Maybe supply a list of potential sauces?

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.