[Sca-cooks] sauce competition

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Aug 25 12:05:33 PDT 2004

I think the problem with sauces is not recipe or ingredients
but methodology and technology. Almost anyone with a stick
blender can create a reasonable sauce these days, given the right
mix,  amount of time, and monies to spend. Can they do it under pressure
to serve at an event or taste a sauce and know what it needs to make it
work?
Can you create these sauces on the day of the event and hold them
safely for serving over an extended period of time? Cold sauces cold?
Hot sauces hot? Can someone "win" the popular vote with a bottled
commercial sauce
that's just been doctored up for the occasion? Take a commercial fish sauce
and add the right stuff and call it Roman Apician Sauce in other
words... Or take
a commercial marmelade and turn it into a dessert or meat sauce by adding
liquor or spirits. And if it's best taste--- then some sort of
commercial modern
BBQ sauce may well win rather than the unusual more authentic medieval
piper sauces.

Johnnae llyn Lewis