[Sca-cooks] sauce competition

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 13:08:51 PDT 2004

Dear Phlip, you truly are a saint!  Thanks for the suggestion.  I have been playing this game for a long time.   It is not that I need period sources.  A discussion of sauces would be more fun than a discussion of politics or twinkies though.  ;0)  And yes, I could give suggestions to the young ones, but some of their little eyes turn glassy.  (Some do say, I have seen a period recipe for that.)  We seem to have two groups living here:  absolute research mavens and absolute research phobes.  The mavens know that the "babies" (the phobes) need really gentle encouragement.  If they are pushed too hard, they tend to dig their heels in and say "No.  I won't try." :o(

It is a question of encouraging really new folks to cook in the first place, and encouraging some very, very easy form of research for any (every?) sort of SCA activity.  As you know, I am one of these wierdos who thinks the whole society benefits when all of us do a little bit of everything we possibly can:  sewing, cooking, metalwork, athletics, the whole deal.  Yep, I even pound a little steel; made a small pair of period embroidery scissors, more like nippers.  I don't do awesome work, but it is fun & gives me an appreciation of what others do.  Even if you don't do a remarkable job of something,  there is value in the efforts of beginners....

There are other, larger kingdom level events where a full-on cooking competition for more established period cooks would be more appropriate.  And perhaps Mistresses Selene & Huette will take up the torch and encourage more proper competitions there.  We also have our kingdom's largest A&S tourney coming up that will have an entire section of cooking--all period.  Here I am just trying to encourage folks to cook & crack any book!

Samrah

Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:

Samrah, I honestly think you're shooting yourself in the foot by not
strongly encouraging period sauces. ....

Personally, I can think of half a dozen different interesting
sauces, in each of as many cultures, with cultural variants, off hand- if
you want suggestions, just ask.

Maybe supply a list of potential sauces?

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS