[Sca-cooks] sauce competition

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Aug 26 08:35:09 PDT 2004

> It is a question of encouraging really new folks to cook in the first place, and encouraging some very, very easy form of research for any (every?) sort of SCA activity.  As you know, I am one of these wierdos who thinks the whole society benefits when all of us do a little bit of everything we possibly can:  sewing, cooking, metalwork, athletics, the whole deal.  Yep, I even pound a little steel; made a small pair of period embroidery scissors, more like nippers.  I don't do awesome work, but it is fun & gives me an appreciation of what others do.  Even if you don't do a remarkable job of something,  there is value in the efforts of beginners....

Ok, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm seeing a false dichotomy here. I'm not sure
how encouraging people to make up a modern recipe with period
ingredients is a positive step, especially when it would be much harder
than:

- Grind ginger, round pepper, and burnt toast, infuse this in vinegar
and boil.

- Take bread, fry in fat, mix with broth and vinegar, add powdered
pepper and salt, put it on the stove, boil it, and serve it.

- Grind ginger, garlic and crusts of white bread soaked in vinegar, or
toasted bread, and soak in vinegar; and if you add liver it will be
better.

-Grind ginger, a great deal of cinnamon, cloves, grains of paradise,
mace and, if you wish, long pepper; strain bread that has been moistened
in vinegar, strain everything together and salt as necessary."

-  Sauce of green parsley made/ with toasted bread and vinegar ground
together/pepper and salt it a little/ so it becomes good and well
tasting.

- Take mustard, red wine, cinnamon powder and enough sugar,  and let
everything steep together.

- Brown mustard made up with clear vinegar

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"