[Sca-cooks] Commercial Mustard ingredients.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Aug 26 11:53:44 PDT 2004

> >By the way, should I start bringing Pear butter and "pear sweets"
> >(boiled pear juice) to events and handing them out? Everyone seems to
> >love Welserin's Pear mustard but says they can't get pear preserves.
> >
> Yes, please do!  Anybody who does not appreciate a free period sweet
> from a period sweetie, does not deserve to have them.

*grin* thanks

> So the "pear sweets (boiled pear juice)"  ... boiled how long?  To a
> syrup stage?

Yes, definitely a syrup. I picked it up at the Amish health food store
in the next county. I thought, hm... we know that the Teutonic knights
stored boiled down berry juices to add to drinks and we are pretty sure
same are mentioned in the Domostroi... so boiling down pear juice in
Germany to get the 'pear preserves' is a good guess.

According to Wax Orchard's online store, it is concentrated pear juice
with unsweetened pineapple and peach juices. But it definitely tastes of
pear juice specifically.

Anyway, I did try a version of the Welserin mustard with pear butter and
someone else tried it with pear sweet-- it was good but I wasn't really
paying attention to what I was doing, as it was filling a slow space in
a small class I was teaching. I need to do it again.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"