[Sca-cooks] Siamese coffee

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 28 18:13:19 PDT 2004

>OK, so I spent a fair amont of time at Inner Vagabond this Pennsic.
>Now I need to find a recipe for Siamese (or Thai, if you prefer)
>coffee.
>
>So far the only recipe I've found is sub-par.  I may have to dig up
>the chai recipe I like and alter it.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Morgana

I gather this is not real Thai coffee, but some American invention.
Thai coffee is just roasted pounded coffee, brewed (in Indonesia, it
was boiled), and served with canned sweetened condensed milk. No
spices added.

By "chai", i assume you mean "masala chai", since "chai" just means
"tea" and doesn't include spices.

I gotta say that i loved masala chai, but i really detest the overly
sweetened ones i find *with vanilla added* (oh, shock! oh, horror!)
nowadays just about everywhere. I've got nothing personal against
vanilla, but it doesn't belong in masala chai!

OK, step back, i'm now getting off the tea chest (since soap box
didn't make sense here).

If you want spiced coffee, i have a Moroccan recipe on my website:
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/ModernMaghribi/Drinks.html#coffee

It is best sweetened (which i don't normally do, but sugar helps
bring out the spices) and probably without milk (which i do usually
add).

I imagine this is nothing like the spiced coffee you seek, but it's tasty.

Anahita