[Sca-cooks] Chef::: was ::: good brands of vinegar

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Aug 31 09:53:49 PDT 2004

Also sprach Heleen Greenwald:
>Now 2 questions:
>1) a Sous-chef runs the daily workings of a commercial kitchen ,
>yes? While 'the CHEF' makes the menus and tells the staff how to
>prepare a dish... am I right in thinking this?

It varies. "Sous" just means "under" in French, so the sous-chef is
the assistant chef. In some cases the restaurant can have a working
chef, who actually cooks (often the chef runs the saute station,
which is generally the most demanding position in the kitchen), and
the sous-chef will go between the saute station when the chef is on
the phone, out in the dining room, doing paperwork, etc. In large
restaurants there may be an executive chef, who is more of a
manager, doing menu design, staff instruction, buying, heading up
inventory, officially signing off on the various hygienic standards,
and, of course, the ever-popular invasion of people's work stations
to play and experiment, using their mise-en-place for things that
will never be served ;-).

The last kitchen job I worked, I was the sous-chef assisting a chef
who did cook, but whose title was executive chef, and I was mostly in
charge of the buffet in an executive dining room whose purpose was to
offer upper-level executives and their guests a viable alternative to
the plethora of local four-and-five-star restaurants which didn't
constitute an entertainment tax deduction. Most of our clientele ate
from the buffet, which was about 40 dishes, both hot and cold, with
about ten permanent dishes and the rest a menu that changed every
week. I had an assistant, and every so often I had to run out to the
main part of the kitchen and run the saute station.

>2) Did you ever see the Brit com  *CHEF*? Starring Lennie Henry as
>the domineering chef.  Very funny Brit-com....well, anyway..... When
>a patron's order comes into the kitchen on a piece of paper, he
>(the chef character) says
>"samash" - at least that is what I am hearing.... Then the person
>who is going to prepare the dish, shouts out " yes chef"...  I have
>always wondered what 'samash' means.

I assume it's a French term, but what it means, or even what it is or
how it's spelled, I couldn't say. I'll have to go back and watch some
episodes of "Chef!" and see if I hear this; I don't remember hearing
it in those, or in any kitchen I worked in.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04