[Sca-cooks] Holiday Cookie Recipes

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 4 09:48:04 PST 2004

My turn, my turn!

MANDELBROT is more than just fractal geometry.  The word means ALMOND BREAD
which is a pale generic term for a yummy and adaptable treat.

1 cup sugar
3 eggs
6 tablespoons oil
Grated rind of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 3/4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely cut blanched almonds

Beat eggs and sugar until light, stir in oil and lemon.

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.

Combine, adding nuts as dough is formed.

Knead on a floured board.

Form into long rolls about three inches wide and one inch thick.

Bake 40-45 minutes at 350F or until light brown.

Remove to bread board and slice while warm, about 1/2 slices.

Place slices on a cookie sheet and brown quickly under broiler or slowly in
oven.

Variations:

Different nuts, dried or candied fruit, candy bits or best of all, chocolate
chips.

1/2 teaspoon favorite sweet spices;  cinnamon [and dust the top with
cinnamon sugar as well], ginger, poudre forte.

Seedy additives:  poppy seeds, anise seeds [crack them a little in a mortar]

Chocolate Mandelbrot:  add 1/2 cup cocoa to the flour mix.

Other flavors:  1/4 teaspoon extract, not too much or it will taste more of
extract than cookie.  Almond is the obvious one.  Lemon extract plus poppy
seeds.

More of my favorite cookie recipes may be found on my recipe page, so I
don't feel I really need to retype them right now.  Angel Chip Cookies,
Hazelnut Butter Cookie and The Best Sugar Cookies You Ever Ate Or Snitched.

Happy times always, Selene