[Sca-cooks] Cadoc tosses his cookie recipe into the ring

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 08:19:40 PST 2004

I am probably late or early, I can't remember
what day I was assigned.

This makes a bunch of fruit filled sugar cookies.
(no, i don't have any low carb cookie recipes :-p )

This is my Mom's base recipe.  I think she pried it
from an original Betty Crocker's cookbook or somewhere.

 (and no, I didn't read it somewhere, she can't remember :-p )

I have used this to make fig bars,  almond cookies, cranberry
orange cookies.   Apple/almond cookies with with nutmeg
and cinnamon in the filling.

They are supposed to be a "sandwich" filled cookie, but I
have even made little tartlets out of them.  I vary the sugar and water in
the filling by how the dried fruit it starts with tastes.

Use your imagination please.  Just don't burn them.  Nothing
is more sad than the wasted potential of burnt cookies.

When I was a kid Mom used whole raisins in these, and I remember
nuts sometimes.  Later my Dad said he liked them better with whole
raisins.  They got divorced and the raisins became minced 'cause
Dad wouldn't eat the ones we took out to his house "by accident."

Cadoc

The sugar cookie recipe is :
temp 400 degrees, 6-8 minutes
Stir together :
1 c. sugar
3/4  c. soft shortening part butter or margarine or butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 egg

Sift together and stir in :
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Chill 1 hour and then roll it out and cut out with cookie cutters.

filling:
2 c. raisins finely cut up
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. water
Cook together slowly stir constantly til thickened can also add chopped nuts.
(Enough filling for 5 dozen cookies)

                                    - William Gibson