[Sca-cooks] soapstone

Ruth Tannahill rtanhil at fast.net
Sun Dec 12 19:19:12 PST 2004

Daniel Phelps wrote:
> Was written:
> >
> > During my afternoon shopping endevour to conquer the Evil Beast of
Giftmas
> > Descending, I discovered that our Oxfam World shop have some lovely
> > soapstone dishes in stock.
> >
> > They're the perfect size to be used for drinking cups for my viking
honey
> > but I wasn't sure if soapstone could be used for that sort of use.
> >
> > Can anyone advise me on this? - does soapstone react badly to such
things
> as
> > mead or ale or ?
> >
> Soapstone previously was much valued because it is non-reactive, resistant
> to high heat and easy to work.  I work of the Florida Geological Survey
and
> our building, specifically built for the Survey back in the early 50's
has,
> in its older unrenovated portions still has soapstone sinks and
countertops
> that have been proof against chemical spills for years.  That being said I
> cannot say if the soapstone you have does not have an admixture of
asbestos
> fiber in it.
>
> Daniel

Soapstone is, chemically speaking, really hard talc. It's magnesium
silicate. Acids will etch it. In other words, ale and mead are fine. Wine,
not really. It will certainly dull the finish, although any trace quantities
dissolved in the wine are unlikely to be harmful. Also, keep in mind that
anything carbonated contains carbonic acid. If left in the vessel long
enough, it will etch the finish. I would not use anything soapstone as a
storage vessel.

As to the presence of asbestos, I cannot attest. I suppose it's possible.
But please note that ingesting asbestos in trace quantities is no where near
as harmful as inhaling it. Before you lot give me holy heck for that, let me
quickly state that I would not recommend eating it, or eating out of
anything that could possibly contain it. I'm merely observing that it has a
less harmful effect on the digestive tract than it does on the lungs.
Asbestos is really only harmful when particulate. As long as it's trapped in
the matrix of the rock, it wouldn't get into the food even if it were there.
As long as you didn't put acidic foods or beverages into the vessel.

I would be more worried about the possibilities of heavy metals or trace
organics in the mixture.

Were the vessels listed as food safe? If so, they've been tested for harmful
agents and are safe to use. If they were not listed as food safe, I would
use discretion.

For example: Pier 1 sells wooden chargers that are not food safe. The reason
they are not food safe is that they have been finished with something that
is not food safe. I would go ahead and put bread, fruit, or cheese on one,
but I would not slurp up sauce off one.

If it were me, I would go ahead and use them for ale or mead. But not for
wine!

Berelinde
mundane chemist