[Sca-cooks] Cookie recipe for the 15th, on SCA time

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 16 06:10:06 PST 2004

This is one of the recipes my mother used to make for Christmas cookie
plates. I can still visualize her recipe card, neatly typed, covered with
stains from years of use! Since I just found her letter describing them, I
thought it would be appropriate.

Cynara

"The Butter Nut Cookies are the ones my Aunt Grace made when her family
drove north to Berkeley to visit my mother, her sister. I thought that they
were the best cookies I'd ever tasted. She had carried them in an air-tight
can to keep them crisp. And she gave me this recipe. I make them in a large
cooking pot and mix them with a spoon."

AUNT GRACE'S BUTTER NUT COOKIES

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour cookie sheets or use
non-stick pans.

Melt: 1/2 pound butter
Add: 1 cup white sugar
     1 cup brown sugar (use the dark brown kind or half and half)
     2 eggs
Mix until blended.
Sift together and add:
     2 cups unsifted flour
     1/2 teaspoon soda
     1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix until blended.
Stir in: 2 cups chopped nuts or coconut*
Drop onto cookie sheet by rounded teaspoons, flatten and bake in 350 degree
oven until golden, about 8 minutes. Let the cookies sit for a few minutes to
cool slightly, then move them to a paper towel.

* My mother ususally used sweetened shredded coconut, but would also make
them with walnuts