[Sca-cooks] bitter walnuts?

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 00:20:02 PST 2004

--- Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Doc mentioned:
> > (there's an earlier recipe that involves soaking walnuts in water to
> > remove the bitterness and then in honey for many days to preserve them)
> Huh? What bitterness? I've heard of this for acorns, but not any other
> nuts. Is there some processing of walnuts needed which I'm unaware of?
> Although I've got some walnuts in the shell which I bought recently.
> Since they were mixed with other shelled nuts, I'm not sure they are
> treated or need it. Or are these green walnuts?
>
> Stefan

Walnuts, to some people, have a bitter, or astringent taste.  I've noticed it on occassion, but I
consider it to be one of the things I like about the walnut, because I feel it compliments the
natural sweetness of the nut itself.  I should say that it is the walnut 'husk' or 'skin' between
the shell and the nut, and not the nut itself, which seems to have this quality.  My son's mother
(she would be called my 'baby mama' in my neighborhood), and my son both experience a bitter
burning under their tongues when they eat walnuts.

On the other hand, I do find the husk (the papery skin) of the common peanut to be entirely too
bitter for my tastes, and will take extreme steps to avoid eating any of it.  Of course, I can
easily eat 2 or 3 bags of peanuts at a sitting, because I love the flavor of the nut itself.  I
make a tremedous mess in the process...leaving little piles of papery peanut husk scattered to an
fro.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.