[Sca-cooks] Fair feast budget

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 2 06:21:09 PST 2004

I must say that it is always a challenge to balancemoney, selection and resourceson site.  This is a feast menu I co-presented at a Kingdom Crown List.  It involed a little bit of make ahead, the facilitites that you mentioned (wayyyy less staging space).  We served 185ish on about $6 a head.  The highlight items were simply prepared for people to taste if they wished, as long as they held out . . . like two rabbits were prepared.  We had 6 dedicated staff all day, and a few drop-ins along the way.  It was a much work as gutting a hog, but it was a raging success, including the whole roasted lamb carved in the hall.

Here is a link to another feast samebudget, and I worked both breakfast shifts as well, plus the Sunday night feast as a second chef . . . http://franiccolo.home.mindspring.com/kas_2002_menu.htm (budget $5.65 per head fed 180)

First Course: Table Preset
    * Fresh Baked Bread with both plain and herbed Butters
    * Pasties of Venison and Beef (small meat pies)
    * Dried Fruit Rissoles (deep-fried fruit fritters)

Second Course:
    * Spit-Roasted Lamb and Pork with Mustard and Pomegranate Sauces
    * Fennel and Leeks with Saffron
    * Lasagne (Handmade leavened pasta with cheeses and spices)
    * Pies of Whole Pears

~  High Table Highlights and Populace tidbits:
    * Small Bird without Bones (small game birds cooked whole with reduced bones)
    * Marzipan Tart

Third Course:
    * Stewed Capon (Chicken) with Currant Sauce
    * Pumpes (Meatballs of pork and beef) with Cameline Sauce
        (Vegetarian Substitute: Marinated Mushrooms)
    * A Summer Compote of Pears (Cooked and Marinated root vegetables and pears served cold)
    * Darioles (flathonys)

~  High Table Highlights and Populace tidbits:
    * Spit Roasted Hare with Pan sauce or Dried Plum Sauce

Fourth Course:
    * Marinated Fish (A white fish fillet marinated in Homemade Malt Vinegar and baked with herbs)
    * A Spelt Tort  (A Savory cheese pie with spelt grains)
    * A Venison Frumenty
    * Candied Orange peels with candied nuts and spices

~  High Table Highlights and Populace tidbits:
    * Trout in Aspic
    * Venison Roast