[Sca-cooks] Re: Wheatabix

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 2 21:28:07 PST 2004

Also sprach Bill Fisher:
>I get accused of "not playing the game" when in period for me there
>is only one ard-ri Gaidel Erenn - Brian Boruma mac Cennetig.

The concept of the game has changed over the years. While that's not
inherently bad, it _is_ bad when people pretend things are as they
always were.

>Also in any other period, what? The Irish...follow royalty?  Is that my
>land you are standin on?

It's not just the Irish; they were just being good tribal people, and
their concept of kingship was very different. On the other hand, some
SCAdians today act as if Magna Carta was some new concept made up out
of whole cloth by crazed pinko extremists, when in fact it was merely
social chiropractic -- the correction of a trend that was itself
aberrant.

Then there are the Scots who wrote and signed the Declaration of
Arbroath, a document which could easily have inspired the American
Declaration of Independence, but which also clearly echoes the
writings of Seneca. These were not new concepts in 1776, and I
confess I get a little creeped out when people suggest it's fun to
hand over my free will for a day on the weekends, because, they say,
it is the period thing to do.

I prefer to think of Royalty in the older, Golden Bough sense:
someone who is investing his or her life in the success of the
venture we call the kingdom, but who is working in partnership with
the people.

As for Charlie Windsor, I suspect a few Weetabix would do him good.

Adamantius, off the Weetabix box

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04