[Sca-cooks] Re: Wheatabix

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Dec 3 09:19:06 PST 2004

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Yeah, but Master A, you're a *Roman*, right? What would you know
>from kings? <g>

Mostly that the Romans lived in horror at the thought of being ruled
by one for about 800 years, and had Emperors that did not become de
facto monarchs for about another hundred years after that, and then
slowly ground to a halt as of that point? Does that count ;-) ?

>  (oh, wait, don't you live in the people's republic of the east? ;o)

Sure do!

>I'll admit, I wasn't thinking of the discussion below in terms of
>capital "R" royalist, but rather small "r." ;o)  I (Sue) might
>really find the 16th and 17th centuries fascinating but I (Maire)
>wouldn't know and probably wouldn't care--she has enough hassles
>putting up with the Anglo-Irish in 14th c. Dublin, to worry overly
>much about what the English are doing to each other at home (which
>is where they belong, no?)

Well, in theory, yes, but then that's kind of like feeling comfy
among the Lowland Scots, but not among the English. Not much
difference. But my point was just that the concept of absolute
monarchy that is frequently associated with the term in the SCA seems
to be pretty much an exaggeration of historical reality. I'm not
sure, but maybe Henry VIII really _could_ have pulled off his line in
that recent series about him on PBS, in which he says something like,
"I can do whatever I want: I'm the king of England." But most other
rulers in our period could not.

Adamantius