[Sca-cooks] Buttermilk?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 4 08:54:27 PST 2004

I wrote:
>  When i was in Morocco, i had a dairy beverage which name has been
>  translated into English as buttermilk, but i know nothing of its
>  production method. It was indeed thinner than the usual USAmerican
>  cultured buttermilk. But what i found most interested was the mouth
>  sensation it induced. While not in the slightest carbonated, there was a
>  "fizzy" or "tingly" mouth feel. Was this due to lactic acid fermentation?
>  I've had plenty of dairy products produced by lactobacilli and never
>  noticed this sensation. What is this? I'd love to reproduce it or find a
>  source to purchase it.

Da answered:
>Are you sure it was cows milk ? Could have been goat or camel being in
>Morocco which may acount some  for the taste.

It is highly unlikely it was camel milk. Despite stereotypes of
Morocco, there are not many camels there. Mostly for the benefit of
tourists. Camels are used indigenously to a limited extent in the
arid south. There's desertification, but it's confined to limited
areas in the southeast where the government is making some attempts
to halt its spread, and the southwest, where there's great political
unrest in the desert area that was formerly under Spanish control and
whose people were demanding independence.

As for goats, there are quite a few. But i know the taste of goat
milk. And not just the commercial stuff from the stupormarket. A
friend in New Mexico raised them, so i've had it fresh from the
nanny. Much better than the commercial.

What they really have in great numbers in Morocco are sheep. I never
saw a single huge flock of sheep. Rather, at the watering holes where
there were many sheep, i would see many different people each of whom
had a few sheep to make up the bigger number.

Now, i know nothing about commercial dairies involving goats or
sheep, so i suppose sheep are possible. But I have had commercial
sheep's milk yogurt and plenty of sheep's milk cheese, and sheep milk
has a distinctive musky taste, milder than goat and stronger than
cow. However, i've never drunk uncultured sheep milk, so i suppose
it's a possibility.

This buttermilk was commercially produced, purchased at a Moroccan
supermarket, so the milk came from a commercial dairy. Could just be
my American mind set, but i suspect what i bought was cow's milk.
They do have cows in Morocco. This was in Rabat, the capital of
Morocco, and the north of Morocco is much greener than the south.

The average small farmer/husbandman in the countryside has a herd of
animals that is quite mixed. A few sheep, a few goats, a cow or two,
a donkey or a mule (more likely a donkey), only rarely a horse, and
in the south maybe a camel.

>Also it could have been raw
>butter milk slightly fermented. Not all the world has our health law
>standards.

This is certainly a possibility. But with all the French influence on
Morocco and the fact that Pasteur was French, leads me to think it
may well have been pasteurized. But it could have been raw milk.
There is commercial raw milk here in California.

I dunno, anybody? Would raw milk get tingly more easily than pasteurized?

Anahita