[Sca-cooks] Menus & Service

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 5 06:54:12 PST 2004

Most feasts I've had are 3-4 courses, and I generally think of it as:
starters, 3 courses, dessert table (which strictly speaking would be 5
courses, I guess..
-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa,

You bring up a good point here.  When we think of the number of courses for
a feast, we often think only of the ones that are served when we are seated
at the table.  There are other ways those courses get served that are worth
mentioning however  -

Snacks passed around in baskets or available on a side board during Court.
Not a luncheon, but an appetizer/hold-em-til-dinner food.  I've seen
miniature cheese and other savory tarts, sweets, candies, cheeses, etc.
served in this manner and at this specific time.

A pre-set first course of nibbles on the table as diners come in.  We often
do this with pickles, spreads, breads, olives, tarts, and other finger
foods.

Dessert course served as a buffet after the main feast, perhaps during the
revel.  Also served ina different location such as a party hall or vigil
tent. (I don't understand the thing about having a vigil on Saturday night
after an elevation has occurred, but I have seen it done several times -
sometimes when a candidate is surprised in Court, but others when it was
announced in advance. *shrug*)

Baskets or servings of food set out at strategic locations with finger
foods.

The beverage station is often the busiest place in a feast hall (or wherever
it is set up).  Beverages such as mulled cider, hippocras (alcoholic and/or
spiced grape juice), sekanjabin and other syrups with a pitcher of water,
even coffee, tea and hot chocolate.  They may not be considered a separate
course, but the amount of preparation that goes into them, especially if you
have an elaborate set-up, makes it equal in importance.

Anybody have any other off-table serving styles that are done in your area?

Christianna