[Sca-cooks] OOP - Just another trip to the supermarket - long...

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 22:59:46 PST 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 23:48:56 -0500, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hullo, the list!
>
> On a trip to one of our local large markets earlier this evening, I
> discovered several cans of sopa de garrobo on the shelf. This seems
> to be canned iguana soup, specifically from the brown iguana, which
> is a delicacy compared to its no-account, green-trash cousin, the
> green iguana. Who knew?
>
> Anyway, when we got home I did a little digging and found this old
> Washington Post article online at

I have seen sopa de garrobo in a carniceria here in Roswell.  I asked
the owner what it was 'cause I wasn't familiar with it.  He told he
"lizard soup, it is for getting better."   It isn't a fast seller here, but it
does sell.

I guess lizard soup is good for the soul too.  From whatI have heard
it is pretty good.  I haven't seen any actual garrobo meat in the market
though.

Maybe I'll pick some up and bring it to Pennsic with me next year.
Can't be any worse than the Gator gumbo and ribs I have had already.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson