[Sca-cooks] Menus

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Dec 5 06:07:51 PST 2004

> I got hammered price-wise on my last feast because I was told to
> make food for 120.  We had 83 for the feast total, including the
> comped peoples.  They wanted a meat heavy feast, and I told them
> the price, but strangely my budget wasn't increased on paper,
> just by word.  I got the beef at a steep discount, the chicken cost
> me an arm and a leg.  I wound up over the paper budget on that
> feast.  I felt we could have done with half the amount of meat for
> the feast though.

Speaking of such, how does your local group handle going over budget on
feasts? I generally keep myself within budget or call the autocrat and
get verbal approval if I'm going to exceed the budget, but when I've
been an autocrat I've sometimes had to work with people who didn't seem
to have a notion about budgetting (and believe me, my budgets are
generous). I've sometimes bought back reciepts for food if I've
overbought, though I've generally stopped doing that, as it means that
people see lots of food and lots of leftovers and think that budget
bought them all... However, the Poliudie dayboard went overbudget...
so I stood up in the shire meeting and explained that the extra touches
were out of my own pocket, and that I didn't expect the shire to pay
for my fun... but that they should know that the budget didn't include
'em, just for future budgetting purposes.

One person in my local group is famous for going over budget
by almost exactly 200 dollars every time, to the point where I was told,
when I worked with that person, just to lie about the budget, saying
the feast budget was 200 dollars less than it was.
Unfortunately, we have to submit budget breakdowns with our bids for
events, so I was stuck.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."
			- Rudyard Kipling