[Sca-cooks]

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Dec 6 12:58:14 PST 2004

At 14:01 -0500 2004-12-06, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:
>>  Anyone have any idea of what to replace Porpoise with?  I have no personal
>>  desire to cook that particular animal. Redoing one of the Henry`s wedding
>>  feast in April and its on the menu.
>
>  Venison. Someone from period writes that you use porpoise on fast days
>  to replace venison... so the reverse would also be true, I expect.

Viandier has an indirect reference to this.  In recipe 144 Porpoise
we have "Split it along the back, cook it in water, and slice it into
strips like venison."  This does not prove that venison was a suitable
alternative, but does suggest that the possibility was in the mind of
the author.

On the other hand, the venison recipes in Viandier are not particularly
similar to the porpoise recipe.

In Chiquart Scully says in a footnote "The Venison of Dolphin is a
dish made simply by preparing this fish according to the standard
recipe for large game meat"; and there is a recipe for Fresh Dolphin
and a recipe for Salted Dolphin.  In the latter recipe we have the
explicit "It is served, in place of venison, with rice."

Thorvald