[Sca-cooks] RE: Getting discounted foods - was: Menus

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 8 21:29:58 PST 2004

   Berelinde commented:
> Farmers markets are great. Produce can be a lot cheaper.
> I've evendealt with individual farmers who are willing to
> sell me, say, a whole dressed pig at a reasonable rate.
>
> One of my current projects is a resource list for people in
> my area. A lot of potential cooks don't know where to get
> stuff cheap. A lot more are learning all the time.
This resource list could be a very nice project. Adamantius wrote this
article a while back about developing a relationship with your local
butcher. Such a relationship might get you cheaper meat or it might get
you better meat at the same price. Such a relationship takes time to
build up. While the relationship might or might not be extendable to
other cooks in your group, such a list might help. And even for the
mass market stores, such list could help point fellow cooks to stores
they hadn't thought of or those who they've not dealt with personally.
HC-butchers-art   (13K) 10/ 4/97    For Headcooks - How to work with
your local
                                        butcher.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/HC-butchers-art.html

Stefan