[Sca-cooks] Yonah Shimmel's

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 9 01:53:42 PST 2004

>  >Dubious.  Even in redneck North Florida we used to have a deli that had the
>  >best knishes, but I've never seen one made with phyllo pastry.  Is this a
>  >northern thing or is this recipe a little off?
>  >
>  >Mmmm, I loved the kasha knishes.  (No, we do not need to start the kasha
>  >discussion again.  These were made with buckwheat.)
>  >
>  >Mairi Ceilidh
>
>PHYLLO DOUGH??? PHUH-HUY-HUH-HUY-HUH-HUYYYYYLLLLLLO DOUGH?!?!?!?
>Shirley, you joust!
>
>Adamantius (also a kasha knish man)

Hey, hey, Yonah Shimmel's doesn't do their knishes in phyllo (or at
least didn't back when i was dropping acid and wondering the streets
of the Lower East Side in the 60s), i don't care what no stinkin' web
site says.

Now, a phyllo wrapped knish does sound like an elegant and, well,
frankly revisionist form of knish, and it might be quite tasty.

But really,a proper knish has just a doughy wrapper and a succulent,
bordering on leaden, filling - while i'm a fan of potato, a good
buckwheat kasha filling with onions and mushrooms is traditional and
it schmecks zer gut, too.

Love and Knishes,
Anahita