[Sca-cooks] Yonah Shimmel's oop

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 9 04:24:20 PST 2004

>> PHYLLO DOUGH??? PHUH-HUY-HUH-HUY-HUH-HUYYYYYLLLLLLO DOUGH?!?!?!?
>> Shirley, you joust!
>>
>> Adamantius (also a kasha knish man)
>
> Hey, hey, Yonah Shimmel's doesn't do their knishes in phyllo (or at
> least didn't back when i was dropping acid and wondering the streets
> of the Lower East Side in the 60s), i don't care what no stinkin' web
> site says.
>
> Now, a phyllo wrapped knish does sound like an elegant and, well,
> frankly revisionist form of knish, and it might be quite tasty.
>
> But really,a proper knish has just a doughy wrapper and a succulent,
> bordering on leaden, filling - while i'm a fan of potato, a good
> buckwheat kasha filling with onions and mushrooms is traditional and
> it schmecks zer gut, too.

I tried this recipe out on my parents a couple of months ago for my
cholesterol-counting pop's annual Hot Dog Feast.  He only eats hot dogs once
a year so he makes a big party of it.  Well.  He found the alleged Yonah
Shimmel's clone recipe online and had me make up a big batch.  The recipe is
NOT from Yonah Shimmel's but the head clonester of TopSecretRecipes.com, who
says that it has been adjusted for lower fat diets and that seems to be
where the phyllo idea came from.  I did not think much of the phyllo as
used, since it gets pretty flakey and messy to eat.  I did not care for the
filling that this recipe made either.  However, my Brooklyn-born pop and his
NYC expat friends loved it, so what do I know?

Those who have further interest in this recipe may try it for themselves:
<http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes/knishes.htm>

Selene