[Sca-cooks] Hard Liquor ingredients

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 16:27:23 PST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:35:52 -0500, kingstaste at mindspring.com
<kingstaste at mindspring.com> wrote:
> I sent some of the discussion about hard liquor over to another list where
> many drinkers reside.  This comment just came back -
> Christianna
>
> I do have a set of directions dating to the American Colonial period
> for the production of AppleJack which requires
> 1) Hard Cider
> 2) Winter
> 3) Oak Barrels (Sufficient to hold your cider)
> 4) A shed in the back yard (So that if the barrels blow due to the
> expansion of the ice, your house is not covered in fermented cider.
>
> I'm not kidding these are the ingredients listed.
> VK

Cold distllation.is a wonderful thing.

Yeah, water freezes before alcohol does.  I've done this to mead before
to make it stronger.  It is a slow slow slow slow process and needs
gradual temperature shifts to promote slow ice growth.  And yeah, if it freezes
too fast things go boom.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson