[Sca-cooks] Hard Liquor ingredients

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 12:18:17 PST 2004

Just for the record, and to put an end to this silly paranoia-fest, I am writing to the BATF to
get a definitive answer on the following questions:

1)  When Mead or Wine is frozen in an ice tray in my home freezer for personal use in iced tea or
as a sorbet, a small amount of alcohol naturally seperates from the liquid.  This is a natural
reaction.  I have heard that I can be arrested, prosecuted, fined and imprisoned for up to 5 years
if BATF agents find this in my home.  Is this true?

2)  If I were freezing the mead or wine with the intent of using the naturally ice-distilled
alcohol for personal culinary or beverage purposes, am I in violation of any applicable laws, and
would I face prosecution?

3)  If the answer to either of those two questions is 'yes', does the BATF actively investigate
and prosecute these cases, or is it assumed that the amount of alcohol distilled in this manner is
so minute as to be considered a non-issue?

I'll let the list know when I get a response...

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.