[Sca-cooks] Hard Liquor ingredients

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 16 05:14:01 PST 2004

Also sprach Chris Stanifer:
>Just for the record, and to put an end to this silly paranoia-fest,
>I am writing to the BATF to
>get a definitive answer on the following questions:
>
>1)  When Mead or Wine is frozen in an ice tray in my home freezer
>for personal use in iced tea or
>as a sorbet, a small amount of alcohol naturally seperates from the
>liquid.  This is a natural
>reaction.  I have heard that I can be arrested, prosecuted, fined
>and imprisoned for up to 5 years
>if BATF agents find this in my home.  Is this true?
>
>2)  If I were freezing the mead or wine with the intent of using the
>naturally ice-distilled
>alcohol for personal culinary or beverage purposes, am I in
>violation of any applicable laws, and
>would I face prosecution?
>
>3)  If the answer to either of those two questions is 'yes', does
>the BATF actively investigate
>and prosecute these cases, or is it assumed that the amount of
>alcohol distilled in this manner is
>so minute as to be considered a non-issue?
>
>I'll let the list know when I get a response...

Thanks! To be honest, I consider #1 to be a little... I dunno... sort
of mincing, but I'm interested in #'s 2 and 3, so please, let us know
if you do get a response.

As for the question of whether this thread should continue, I suspect
it'll die if enough people get tired of feeding it, or until il Papa
puts a stop to it. Of course, I obviously consider these Words To
Live By, because I _never_ get involved in silly and tedious
discussions on the Cooks' List.

Adamantius, who had some important questions about Deep-Fried Mars
Bars he is now afraid to bring up...

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04