[Sca-cooks] Hard Liquor ingredients

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 08:59:04 PST 2004

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> Thanks! To be honest, I consider #1 to be a little... I dunno... sort
> of mincing, but I'm interested in #'s 2 and 3, so please, let us know
> if you do get a response.

Well, I said I would let the discussion die.... but I guess that won't happen until I get a
response from the ATF.  As for the questions, I think that they ask the 3 relevant questions which
have been posed.  #1 is geared, obviously, to try to determine if the ATF considers unintentional
or 'accidental' distillation of alcohol a serious crime.  It has been asserted by several on this
list that the mere act of freezing an alcoholic beverage, regardless of end use, is a prisonable
offense, because the BATF will not (and cannot, by law) discriminate between intentional and
unintentional distillation. Something about 'mandatory prosecution' was mentioned, along with a
slew of rediculous fines and abuses of civil rights, which the American Juror would laughingly
throw out of court the minute they got wind of the charge...  So, yes, #1 does do a bit of mincing
(perhaps brunoise would be the more appropriate term), but it does so to establish a baseline, and
to hopefully squash the apparently very real fear that the guv'mint is waiting for you to screw up
so they can throw you in Levenworth for the rest of your life.

#s 2 and 3 do ask the more pointed questions.  If I throw some mead in an ice cube tray so i can
use the liquor which seperates, am I in violation of the law.  The answer is probably,
technically, 'yes', but I think #3 is the one I'm really interested in:  Does the BATF actually
send thugs with assault rifles to a man's home if they get wind of his distillation of 1/4 to 1/2
ounce of alcohol through freezing mead?  The answer there is probably going to be a wry grin and
the comment "we have bigger fish to fry."

Allright...let's hear the Mars Bar question.... I promise not to mince :)

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.