[Sca-cooks] Deep-fried mars bars

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Dec 17 17:45:23 PST 2004

Also sprach Chris Stanifer:
>--- Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>  Awk. Sounds a lot like those medieval fried cheese recipes. All *I*
>>  ever got was a big, gooey mess.
>>  Tasty, I guess. But not the kind of pretty dish you wish to place
>>  before your patron.
>
>I have done deep-fried Snickers bars, wrapped in Buttermilk Doughnut
>dough, which turned out very
>nice, but I have not done Mars Bars with batter.  I would imagine a
>simple fritter batter (like
>that used for fruit fritters) would work admirably.

In actual fact, the batter in question is "traditionally" (if a
tradition maybe five years old can be said to be a tradition) the
same batter used for fish in whatever fish-and-chips shop first made
it.

What's funny is that around here, an allegedly English-inspired
fish-and-chips shop in Park Slope, Brooklyn, believed by many to be
one of our more up-and-coming cultural centers, and therefore the
home of some cutting-edge restaurants, and said shop owned by a real
live Englishman ;-), at that, has been making a big splash of
deep-frying oil as he introduces these amazing and hitherto
unheard-of desserts to unsuspecting New Yorkers, many with more many
than sense. I especially love the oohing and aahing over the
deep-fried Twinkie...

Adamantius, who prefers a nice genoise sponge...

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04