[Sca-cooks] OP: recipes online

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Sun Dec 19 19:27:04 PST 2004

Amen to that!
Besides the originals and the digital copies. There are two printouts of
the current collection. One here at my house, and one at my sister's in
South Carolina.

Some the originals are fascinating. Several of them are just
hand-written note cards from members of the family. The earliest is
dated 1902 and was my great-grandmothers (and we have one we think is
from her mother in the late 1800s). Many of these folks never got more
than a third grade education, so the spelling is often entertaining.
Also, directions were sparse. There is one that had none, dates from the
depression era, and I think it is an orange merange pie (only the
filling ingredients are there along with egg whites, no crust described,
but why would they need that). My mother and I are going to test that
concept the week after Christmas.

I will also be scanning some of the originals. Some are even product
recipes from the 30's and 40's. Then, of course, there are the photos of
the people, and even some from dinners and parties. Loads of fun!

Aoghann