Reusing jars for cordials, was [Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 09:21:04 PST 2004

--- "Martin G. Diehl" <mdiehl at nac.net> wrote:

> In my "Beginning Cordial Making" class, I
> stress that
> soda bottles are not suitable.  As another
> example,
> Classico spaghetti jars (and some others) are
> equivalent
> to canning jars ... but you need to use a new
> band and
> lid -- you can't reuse the original lid/cap.

First off, Classico spaghetti _sauce_ jars, don't
come with a band and lid, they just come with
a lid.  Secondly, you can use the old lid in
making cordials if it has been thoroughly cleaned
and you put a layer of Saran Wrap between it and
the jar.  Saran Wrap [or one of its competitors]
is food grade plastic, is thin enough to use
underneath the old lid and still keep a good
seal, won't impart other flavors or a nasty
metalic taste, will keep bugs and germs for
getting in, and costs a lot less that buying
canning lids.  Oh, and by the way, canning bands
don't have to
be new to be used.  They just have to be clean.
They just hold down the canning lids.  The
canning lids do have to be new for each use.

Huette, who cans and makes cordials, although
not usually on the same day.

=====
shall never cease to be amused.