[Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 20 13:30:55 PST 2004

Vincenzo commented:
> > The same effect can be achieved much more economically by
> > filling and freezing a leftover 1-litre soda bottle.
> >
> > William de Grandfort
>
> Economical -- yes.
>
> Tasty -- not quite right.
>
> Safety -- uncertain.
>
> The point is that a 1L soda bottle is not food grade
> plastic;
Why? Food is being sold in it.
> the label has to be removed to be sure the
> outside is clean; you have to be sure you have cleaned
> between the outside of the neck and the cap.  sometimes
> the label has printing on the outside -- is it save for
> the food you are trying to cool; how do you get that off?
Yes, but most of this is also true of the wort cooler if it is going to
be used more than once. Even the label since it comes with a label
originally, right? You have to make sure that the wort cooler has been
properly cleaned and sanitized. Wouldn't the same standards also apply
to the soda bottle?

> In my "Beginning Cordial Making" class, I stress that
> soda bottles are not suitable.
But is this due to the chemicals in the plastic bottle? Or the fact
that the plastic bottles are fairly air-permeable? This is the reason
that soft drinks go "flat" much quicker in the 2 and 3-liter plastic
soda bottles than they did in the old glass two quart bottles.
> As another example,
> Classico spaghetti jars (and some others) are equivalent
> to canning jars ... but you need to use a new band and
> lid -- you can't reuse the original lid/cap
Isn't this true of all canning jars, even the ones you buy in the store
specifically for this? Or do you get to reuse the bands and the lids
several times on those before replacing them?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com