[Sca-cooks] ServSafe Temps and Other Stuff

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 21 04:06:58 PST 2004

--- Nick Sasso <grizly at mindspring.com> wrote:
 Gotta love 135F though.  They changed the microwave temp as well . . .
found that out when the
> inspector asked me last July.

Really?  In So-Cal, last I checked, the Food Safety Danger Zone for PHFs was
still 41-140, and 160 for microwave and re-heat cooking.  I wonder why there
is such a difference between California and other states.

William de Grandfort

Well, you might want to check again.  However, it is possible that CA has
different laws from GA.  Here's why:  The FDA writes the "Food Code".  It is
then used as a set of guidelines for each state to write it's laws from.  It
is usually up to the localities to enforce said laws.  So, a state may
choose to make standards more stringent, or write certain bits of the Code
into it's legislation rather than others.  So, when folks say something
regarding food practices is a federal law, they are not quite right.  It
might be a part of the overall Food Code, but there is actually no such
thing as federal food safety laws.  I think that may be one of the reasons
why the NRA (food, not guns) came up with the ServSafe certification,
because it provides a national standard.
And the microwave re-heat temp is 165 now :)
Christianna