[Sca-cooks] Apropos Sesame Oil

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 21 09:51:20 PST 2004

Huette wrote:
>--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>  >  - but most interesting was (3) the Black Sesame Gelato.
>  >
>  > Talk about earthy - and not only was it jam packed with crushed black
>  > sesame seeds so that it was grey, but there was definitely a dash of
>  > roasted sesame oil in it. Geoffroi really did NOT like it.
SNIP
>  > Mmm-mmm-mmm, gray ice cream with crunchy black bits.
>
>Sounds better than the black licorice ice cream
>that Baskin Robbins used to produce...

Well, this topic has certainly been done to death, but i'm one of
those who REALLY dislikes the taste of intense anise, which is how
most USAmerican black licorice is flavored. I tried that ice cream
(uh, like, this was back in the 1970s when i was in my 20s), and
black ice cream was *cool!* but i really detested the taste (having
your lips, tongue, and inside of your mouth stained black was also
*cool!*)

I have had real licorice, and while i'm not fond of it, i will
tolerate it more than intense anise.

I don't mind a little light anise and i do use it in period cooking
when it is called for.

(BING! BING!) (bright light goes on) I got a little gelato machine
from my landlady, who lives downstairs, when she had a garage sale a
month or two ago... I've got black sesame seeds and i've got roasted
sesame oil... so i could experiment...

Alas, i have been having a difficult time finding black sesame
butter. A formerly local health food brand used to make it, but they
were bought be a bigger company, and now i can't find the stuff
anymore.

One summer i was attending a two week Medieval Music program (this
was quite a few years before i joined the SCA), and therefore not
working (i was taking vacation time, but it was unpaid), so i was
rather impecunious. I had a loaf of that really dark brown bread
(colored, no doubt, with molasses) that claims to be Russian, and
lurking in the back of the fridge was a bottle of commercial mince
meat (no meat) - also very very dark brown, and i had a jar of black
sesame butter... so i made these almost black sandwiches...

(SNIFF) now I'm getting rather nostalgic...

Anahita
who has long fantasized about having a black meal:
squid ink pasta with tapanade (black olive paste with anchovies
(mmm-mmm-mmm, i love anchovies), certain kinds of seaweed (hijiki and
wakame) cooked with soy sauce and black sesame seeds... of course
there's more...