[Sca-cooks] Baileys, was Frittering Laurels

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Dec 22 06:17:37 PST 2004

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Or a sort of hot egg nog, without all the cream....
>--maire

A couple of webbed references are referring to advocaat as "Dutch
Eggnog", and one or two recipes I saw did call for additional dairy
product (evaporated milk, etc.), so the line if distinction may be
blurry or intentionally blurred in some cases. Ya know, where
somebody looks at the recipe and decides this thing is supposed to
resemble egg nog and so therefore tweaks it in that direction? But
the recipe Huette posted (which I also found online) seems to most
resemble a slightly thinner, boozier version of zabaglione.

in two main varieties, the "thick" version, which is, I suspect, the
stuff Huette posted the recipe for, and an "export" version, which is
thinner and more conducive to making mixed drinks of various sorts.

Thinking of this in sheer terms of the thickening power of egg yolks
(and this is why I asked if you could pour the stuff), a standard
formula for a poured custard like creme anglaise is twelve yolks to a
quart of liquid. Huette's posted recipe involves ten yolks (no
indication of size, though, and when you get up in the tens range,
this could make a difference) to about 14 ounces of brandy. I'm not
sure, offhand, how one quantifies "thickness" -- maybe when I'm more
awake -- but I'd assume this to be significantly thicker than creme
anglaise. Almost like a thick pancake batter in texture.

Adamantius