[Sca-cooks] Baileys, was Frittering Laurels

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 07:03:14 PST 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:17:37 -0500, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
> Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
> >Or a sort of hot egg nog, without all the cream....
> >--maire
>
> A couple of webbed references are referring to advocaat as "Dutch
> Eggnog", and one or two recipes I saw did call for additional dairy
> product (evaporated milk, etc.), so the line if distinction may be
> blurry or intentionally blurred in some cases. Ya know, where
> somebody looks at the recipe and decides this thing is supposed to
> resemble egg nog and so therefore tweaks it in that direction? But
> the recipe Huette posted (which I also found online) seems to most
> resemble a slightly thinner, boozier version of zabaglione.

This is probably one of those "continental drift" recipes that every
region has a version of, using native ingredients,

> in two main varieties, the "thick" version, which is, I suspect, the
> stuff Huette posted the recipe for, and an "export" version, which is
> thinner and more conducive to making mixed drinks of various sorts.

This seems more like a thin custard, I don't think they are cooking it
like the zabaglione to increase the thickness, just tempering it and
bringing it to temp and then letting it cool.  Otherwise it would drive
off the boozy parts.   Doesn't say it gets foamy in her directions.

This reminds me of the custard sauce I grew up with from the coal
regions of PA, but with booze.  Yum.

> Thinking of this in sheer terms of the thickening power of egg yolks
> (and this is why I asked if you could pour the stuff), a standard
> formula for a poured custard like creme anglaise is twelve yolks to a
> quart of liquid. Huette's posted recipe involves ten yolks (no
> indication of size, though, and when you get up in the tens range,
> this could make a difference) to about 14 ounces of brandy. I'm not
> sure, offhand, how one quantifies "thickness" -- maybe when I'm more
> awake -- but I'd assume this to be significantly thicker than creme
> anglaise. Almost like a thick pancake batter in texture.
>
> Adamantius

I think it is the cooking phase too, heating it but not letting the
yolks lift it
should make it thinner as it develops.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson