[Sca-cooks] Baileys, was Frittering Laurels

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 22 07:03:45 PST 2004

> Also sprach Elaine Koogler:
>
>> This sounds very similar to a cream dish I was served when in
>> Scotland some years back...it was made with Glayva instead of
>> cognac...and I don't have the recipe, unfortunately...but, from your
>> description, this sounds like the same stuff.  Glayva is a liqueur
>> made with Scotch...and is wonderful, much better, IMHO, than Drambuie.
>

> Were they calling this athelbrose?
>
> Adamantius

To be honest, I don't remember.  It has been a number of years
ago...probably 15 or more.  But I'll never forget the taste!  It was a
'prix fixe' dinner at a hotel in Edinburgh.  I also clearly remember
that they served shots of Glayva with the haggis.  First time I ever had
haggis...and, oddly enough...I loved it!  It kind of reminded me of
scrapple, which my Grandmother Koogler used to make every November when
the hogs were butchered.  I suspect that the methodolgy is quite
similar...oatmeal instead of cornmeal, mutton instead of pork...steamed
instead of fried.

Kiri