[Sca-cooks] Baileys, was Frittering Laurels

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 22 07:52:34 PST 2004

Huette asks,

>What is "lactose-incompetent"?  Or do you mean
>"lactose-intolerant"?

Just a funny expression I picked up from someone with Asian heritage and
a really spectacular case of lactose intolerance which really needed a
stronger expression.  The coconut thing was just a tangential idea, yes.

Then Huette shares a really interesting recipe for Advocaat.  Woo.  This
looks stronger than the stuff they sell under that name for export.  I
don't see any instruction for using the whites at all, am I reading this
a-right?

Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>
>> Also sprach Elaine Koogler:
>>
>>> This sounds very similar to a cream dish I was served when in
>>> Scotland some years back...it was made with Glayva instead of
>>> cognac...and I don't have the recipe, unfortunately...but, from your
>>> description, this sounds like the same stuff.  Glayva is a liqueur
>>> made with Scotch...and is wonderful, much better, IMHO, than Drambuie.
>>

>> Were they calling this athelbrose?
>>
>> Adamantius
>>
> To be honest, I don't remember.  It has been a number of years
> ago...probably 15 or more.  But I'll never forget the taste!  It was a
> 'prix fixe' dinner at a hotel in Edinburgh.  I also clearly remember
> that they served shots of Glayva with the haggis.  First time I ever
> had haggis...and, oddly enough...I loved it!  It kind of reminded me
> of scrapple, which my Grandmother Koogler used to make every November
> when the hogs were butchered.  I suspect that the methodolgy is quite
> similar...oatmeal instead of cornmeal, mutton instead of
> pork...steamed instead of fried.
>
> Kiri

When faced with a haggis-phobe, I describe it as "oatmeal dressing with
lamb giblets."

I would bet a cooky that it was Atholl Brose, which also has both a
beverage and a pudding version.  Obviously your restaurant had a Special
Relationship with the fine folks who sell Glayva, which I can take or
leave.  Here is a recipe for a reasonably basic version of Atholl Brose:

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons heather honey
Scotch whisky
3 rounded tablespoons of medium oatmeal

Method:
The oatmeal is prepared by putting it into a basin and mixing with cold
water until the consistency is that of a thick paste. Leave for half an hour
and then put through a fine strainer, pressing down with a wooden spoon to
extract as much liquid as possible. Throw away the oatmeal which is left in
the strainer and use the creamy liquor from the oatmeal for the brose.

Then mix four dessert spoonfuls of pure honey and four sherry glassfuls of
the prepared oatmeal solution and stir well. Put into a quart bottle and
fill with
malt whisky; shake before serving.

Selene