[Sca-cooks] The IBM (DOS) Extended ASCII Character set, was OOP? Hispanic cookie question

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 00:39:44 PST 2004

I am sorry, Martin, but most of what you have
listed isn't very useful in showing how to use
or access the Extended ASCII Character set.
Here is the best website I know of with
instructions on how to use the set.

For those of us with PCs, here is the website:

http://telecom.tbi.net/asc-ibm.html

I have printed the page out and have it next to
my keyboard for easy reference.

After doing a bit of searching, I have found
a list for Mac Users here:

http://www.evergreen.edu/biophysics/technotes/program/ascii_ext-mac.htm

>From what I have been reading, computers that
understand Unicode will understand ASCII. Those
using Java should understand ASCII, but some
characters don't always show up correctly.

Here is an interesting discussion of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_ASCII

Here is a tutorial on character code issues:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html

Huette

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/irish.htm#irishunc

http://www.ramsch.org/martin/uni/fmi-hp/iso8859-1.html

http://www.georgetown.edu/faculty/ballc/oe/oe-chars.html

http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/st-erkenwald.html

> "The Macintosh Latin Font";
> http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/maclatin.html
>
> Unicode, basic Latin (0-127 decimal; 0000-007F
> hex)
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0000.pdf
>
> Unicode, Latin-1 Supplement (128-255 dec;
> 0080-00FF hex)
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf
>
> Unicode, Latin Extended-A (codes 256-383 dec;
> 0100-017F hex)
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0100.pdf
>
> Unicode: Latin Extended-B (codes 384-591 dec;
> 0180–024F hex)
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0180.pdf
>
> --
> Martin G. Diehl