[Sca-cooks] OT: no salami imports down under?

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Thu Dec 23 09:00:59 PST 2004

At 08:51 -0800 2004-12-23, Chris Stanifer wrote:
>  --- Bill Fisher <liamfisher at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11767965%5E1702,00.html
>>

>>  >From what this is telling me, it is possible to transmit animal diseases
>>  through finished cured food products?
>>
>>  Anyone know if that is possible?

Ordinary food processing does not destroy the "prions" that may be
implicated in BSE.

Plus, many "finished cured food products" may have been improperly
processed or stored and other animal diseases may have survived or
been added.  Customs inspectors are not able to test foods.

Plus, Australia and New Zealand have generally been among the most
agricultural-disease-conscious countries.

Thorvald