[Sca-cooks] OT: no salami imports down under?

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sat Dec 25 14:45:01 PST 2004

James Prescott wrote:

> At 08:51 -0800 2004-12-23, Chris Stanifer wrote:
> >  --- Bill Fisher <liamfisher at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11767965%5E1702,00.html

[snip]

> Plus, Australia and New Zealand have generally been among
> the most the most agricultural-disease-conscious countries.
>
> Thorvald

True.

I 'discovered' this attitude in 1997.  I saw a message
"SC - Grains of Paradise"; Sun, 22 Jun 1997; from Sianan
who was then eMailing from, denton at microtech.com.au

As head cook for a December, 1997 event in New Zealand,
she needed it for a recipe.  She didn't know how or even
if Grains of Paradise could be obtained in NZ.
Her wedding was also planned for the same event.
IOW, she was going to be cooking for her own wedding!

To help her out, I used International Priority Mail to
send one ounce of Grains of Paradise -- it never arrived.
I could not find out what happened to it.

I did a little research with NZ consulate officials -- it
seemed that the only way would be for her to apply for an
import permit; mail it to me; that paperwork would have to
accompany the  (second) package.

Sorry, but I never did hear how it all worked out.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick