[Sca-cooks] The IBM (DOS) Extended ASCII Character set,was OOP? Hispanic cookie question [Resend]

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Mon Dec 27 12:40:42 PST 2004

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> I am sorry, Martin, but most of what you have
> listed isn't very useful in showing how to use
> or access the Extended ASCII Character set.

You are quite correct.

Your question is answered below.

At the time, I was thinking (writing) about how the
issue arises rather than how to solve the puzzle.

(i.e. analysis v. synthesis, but with analysis
leading 1 to 0 at half time)

Thank you for the new (accurate) insight about my
writing.  It tells me that I should proofread for
readability and pertinence in addition to content.

> Here is the best website I know of with
> instructions on how to use the set.
>
> For those of us with PCs, here is the website:
>
> http://telecom.tbi.net/asc-ibm.html

That is a good reference for the PC character set.

Please note that the tables provided on that page and
also on many other related pages are images (e.g.
'asc-ibm1.gif') instead of the actual codes.

[snip]

> >From what I have been reading, computers that
> understand Unicode will understand ASCII. Those
> using Java should understand ASCII, but some
> characters don't always show up correctly.
>
> Here is an interesting discussion of this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_ASCII
>
> Here is a tutorial on character code issues:
>
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html

Excellent references: noted; bookmarked; printed.
Did I read them yet? -- Soon ... or later.  <g>

In Korpela, Jukka; "A tutorial on character code issues";
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html#latin1 ...
you see an array of characters which correspond to
ISO Latin 1, code positions 160 - 255.

It may be possible to select and copy those characters
(or individual characters) from the web page to a
document or eMail composition window.  You could also
save them to a local document for later use.  In my
case, I use TextPad -- a very good plain text editor
available from http://www.textpad.com/ -- free trial.

e.g. (copied from the web page and pasted here)

  ¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ¦ § ¨ © ª « ¬ ­ ® ¯
° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶ · ¸ ¹ º » ¼ ½ ¾ ¿
À Á Â Ã Ä Å Æ Ç È É Ê Ë Ì Í Î Ï
Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö × Ø Ù Ú Û Ü Ý Þ ß
à á â ã ä å æ ç è é ê ë ì í î ï
ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ÷ ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ

It is by no means assured that every recipient saw the
same results as on the source web page.  YMMV.

BTW, this is how I composed my earlier response -- and I
agree in advance that this is, at best, a clumsy method.

I use Netscape 4.7x for eMail; send plain text; NOT HTML.

> Huette
>

> --- "Martin G. Diehl" <mdiehl at nac.net> wrote:
>
> > Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

Thanks for explaining the sound of an ñ or Ñ.

> > > Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
> > > Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
> >
> > Bunuelos ... and with the tilde N, Buñuelos
> > (I hope all of you see it!)

[snip]

> > I know, you're thinking, "And this has what to do
> > with cooking?" ... Well, you'll thank me if you
> > ever have to read a recipe from an Old English
> > Manuscript.  <g>
> > ... or even Beowabbit, for that matter.

[snip]

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick