[Sca-cooks] Happy Holidays....

Mark S. Harris MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 29 22:30:25 PST 2004

Cailte mentioned:
> standing rib roast with horseradish crust,
Oooh. This sounds good.
> scalloped potatoes with anchovies,
Ah! Another one experimenting with this recipe.
> carrots roasted in the pan,
> sauted shitake and button mushrooms w/sherry.
Probably pretty easy, but it sounds wonderful. Saute cut up shitake and
button mushrooms in butter or olive oil and then near the end, add a
bit of sherry?
> love that crust!
Yes, it does sound good. How did you do this? Simply spread a prepared
horseradish sauce onto the roast and then cook it?
> didn't make anything salty.  still
> eating beef... we got a wonderful deal on a huge standing
> rib thanks to all of the meat we were buying for our
> event.  nice head of meat department at the local sam's
> club.
This is exactly one of the advantages of working through one meat
vender, particularly for multiple feasts, as detailed by Adamantius:
HC-butchers-art   (13K) 10/ 4/97    For Headcooks - How to work with
your local
                                       butcher.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/HC-butchers-art.html
> taters were a bit wet for my taste, didn't seem like one
> can of anchovies chopped up was enough, and needed more
> pepper and oddly, salt.  still good tho.  a simple dinner
> for two.
Thanks for the review. I'll keep your comments, as well as Anahita's,
in mind when I get around to trying this dish.
> no family, so that makes loot given out easy, tho handmade
> (not by mine) soaps and these cool round 'bomb' shaped
> ceramic lamps we found (don't be surprised to see an
> insurrection (complete w/ holy hand grenades' coming to
> your kingdom!  hmmmmmmm, estrella is coming up.......
> hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
You joke. However, see this one:
pottery-wepns-msg  (6K) 12/21/99    Period use of pottery in weapons.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/pottery-wepns-msg.html
> mebbe pizza tonite... you can only eat so much beef................
My sister-in-law tried this at one of our family get-togethers on
Sunday. Basically several pizzas made with pizza dough from the frozen
"pop-open" cans with various varieties of toppings. I thought it was
kind of neat and gave folks a chance to talk while building the various
pizzas. But I wish she'd had anchovies to add and the crust came out
pretty doughy, especially when two dough packages were combined to make
a single, thick-crust pizza. I may try this at home though. When we've
had pizza (unfortunately, rather heavy on carbs), we've usually bought
the already prepared fresh pizzas from the deli department.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com