[Sca-cooks] Happy Holidays....

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Thu Dec 30 07:15:12 PST 2004

>Cailte mentioned:
>> standing rib roast with horseradish crust,
>Oooh. This sounds good.

We had a rib roast too - four ribs, bone in.
I made a rub (3 tbs crushed garlic, 3 tbs kosher salt, 1 tsp oregano, 2 tbs horseradish mustard, 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil,
1/2 tsp Dry mustard powder) set the Prime rib up on a rack
Then I popped in the themometer (I use one of those remote sensing probe deals like AB uses) and set the temp alarm to go off at 120 degrees.
I preheated the oven to 500 degrees, then popped in the roast set the timer to 20 minutes. after 20 mins I set the temp to 250 degrees.
When the temp sensor went off, I took it out of the oven, and covered it all with three layers of foil, to rest.
an hour later it was 145 degrees in the middle, pink, tender and perfect. The best I have done yet. I cut the roast off the ribs, and sliced out the roast.

Just before serving I set the oven to 375, took the (le Creuset) pan with the drippings and heated it up to almost smoke point on the stove top, made yorkshire pudding batter (3 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper), and put it in the oven until set.

My job for the feast was providing the roastbeast and the YPudding.

We also had Green Bean casserole (creditably done with thick cut smoky bacon and fresh beans, not that insipid gelid mass one usually sees), Au gratin potatoes, carrots, cranberry-orange relish, and seven kinds of dessert, including Vinaka bread, genuine sugarplums, and two icecream bombes, one tortoni, and one cappuchino chip.

I also made some coffee, a skill in shich I have some pride.

Capt Elias
-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
wood, divide the work, and give orders.  Instead, teach them
to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
  - Antoine de Saint Exupery