[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green Peppers and Mangoes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 30 17:25:13 PST 2004

Also sprach Chris Stanifer:
>Well...let's have the goods!  If there is a source for the
>misconception, and the author has it
>(apparently), then why not divulge it?
>
>I have over 700 cookbooks at my home, some dating back as far as the
>mid 1800's (well, reprints of
>those books, anyway), and I have never seen a Bell Pepper referred
>to as a Mango.  Nor have I seen
>a recipe for 'Green Pepper Mangoes' (though I would love to have one!!!).
>
>I'm thinking this is a very, very localized usage.... or I'm just
>not reading the right books.

Either that, or you don't have the right books. See "What Mrs. Fisher
Knows About Southern Cookery," for one 19th-century example off the
top of my head. Thewre was also at least one webbed recipe or table
of contents reference from some White House Cook Book, also 19th
century. The phenomenon is well documented: my question is, if the
author of the quote that started this thread is aware of a specific
word importation from a Slavic language, why doesn't he say what it
is?

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782