[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green Peppers and Mangoes

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 18:58:24 PST 2004

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> >I'm thinking this is a very, very localized usage.... or I'm just
> >not reading the right books.
>
> Either that, or you don't have the right books. See "What Mrs. Fisher
> Knows About Southern Cookery," for one 19th-century example off the
> top of my head. Thewre was also at least one webbed recipe or table
> of contents reference from some White House Cook Book, also 19th
> century.

GREEN PEPPER MANGOES
The Original White House Cook Book (1887 Ed.)

Select firm, sound, green peppers, and add a few red ones,as they are ornamental and look well
upon the table.
With a sharp knife remove the top, take out the seed, soak over night in salt water, then fill
with chopped cabbage and green tomatoes, seasoned with salt, mustard seed and ground cloves.
Sew on the top.
Boil vinegar sufficient to cover them, with a cup of brown sugar, and pour over the mangoes.
Do this three mornings, then seal.

'Sew on the top', eh?  I'll have to give this a shot.  Still, no explanation for the monicker
'Mango'.

 The phenomenon is well documented: my question is, if the
> author of the quote that started this thread is aware of a specific
> word importation from a Slavic language, why doesn't he say what it
> is?
>
> Adamantius

That would, at least, offer up a starting point.

WdG

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.