[Sca-cooks] Beets and Saffron

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 2 08:38:21 PST 2004

>> (what a waste of saffron that would be, you'd never see the color!)
>
> Unless you wished to create an orange color ...

Or perhaps you wanted to have the flavor of saffron (some of us like
the taste, y'know).
- Doc

Admittedly, I don't like beets because I seem to be missing the 'beet gene',
they taste like dirt to me.  But, they taste very strongly of dirt, and it
seems to me that it would take a whole lot of saffron to be detectable
amongst the beet 'flavor' (a term we'll loosely use here for argument's
sake).
As for the color, I have to say the same thing, it would take an awful lot
of saffron to make a noticable change in the red from red beets.  Perhaps it
would be interesting with white beet roots, and I have seen golden beets for
sale recently, but of course you wouldn't need the saffron to color those.
I think I'll save my saffron (since Cariadoc doesn't want it) and use it on
something tastier than beets, some nice chicken and rice for example.
Christianna